Home / All / Industry Info /

The difference between natural fibers and artificial fibers

The difference between natural fibers and artificial fibers

Oct 21,2022
The difference between natural fibers and artificial fibers
As a professional facial sheet mask manufacturer, Proyons Bio-Tech has 10 years of experience in the production of spunlace nonwoven fabric, and is quite familiar with the material, type, characteristics and application of paper mask sheet.
Once one of our Morocco client needed our help in developing a new type of makeup remover. His preferred material is "cotton". It should be noted here that we have two definitions of "cotton". One is naturally grown cotton and the other is rayon. Rayon includes viscose fiber, bamboo fiber, modal fiber and other materials. The spunlace nonwoven industry usually uses viscose fibers to benchmark naturally produced cotton. For this product, 80% of brands prefer rayon(viscose fiber). The remaining 20% of brands prefer to blend the two, and the most commonly used ratio is 50:50 of cotton and viscose.

However, since the customer was engaged in the non-woven product industry for the first time, he could not identify the difference between the natural cotton spunlace nonwoven fabric and the viscose fiber spunlace nonwoven fabric by methods such as appearance and feel. Through further communication, the final product design plan uses viscose fiber blended cotton, the ratio is 50:50, and the cloth weight is 80gsm.

Spunlace nonwoven fabrics made of natural fibers and artifical fibers have their own advantages. Because of the differences in softness, strength, and water absorption.

Under the concept of people advocating natural consumption, natural fibers are of course more popular. After all, it is completely natural growth of the plant without any post-processing by workers. Such as cotton, flax fiber, hemp fiber and our new application musa textilis nee. These natural plant fibers retain their original raw state only through simple degumming and impurity removal. The safety, naturalness and biocompatibility of use are more guaranteed. But again, the shape, thickness, water absorption, etc. of these fibers are random, and there is no way to adjust their physical properties through worker intervention. Therefore, the fineness of natural fiber spunlace nonwoven fabric and their products is difficult to compare with artifical fibers.

As mentioned above, artifical fibers can be adjusted by manual intervention in terms of fiber length, thickness, softness, and water absorption to achieve the desired effect. For example, viscose fiber, the commonly used size is 1.38*38mm. But there are also ultra-fine viscose with 0.55*38mm specification. Due to the relatively small diameter of the fiber cross section, the fiber softness is softer than the conventionally used specifications, and the water absorption performance is also superior. artifical fibers can also be added with some plant extracts during spinning, such as tea polyphenols, aloe vera gel, vitamins and other active ingredients. Thereby creating artificial fibers with different auxiliary functions. At the same time, artifical fibers tend to be easier to card than natural fibers when carded into a web. Because artifical fibers are all fibers of equal length, while the fiber lengths of natural fibers are not the same. Taking cotton as an example, the monofilament fiber length of cotton is generally between 16 and 60 mm. Therefore, the material price and manufacturing cost of natural fiber spunlace non-woven fabrics are often higher than the price of artifical fibers non-woven fabrics, and the manufacturing efficiency of carding, spunlace and other processing links is lower than that of artifical fibers fabrics.

Bio-fibers are more expensive to manufacture and fabricate than the first two types of fibers, and the process is more complicated. Bio-fiber is obtained by microbial fermentation or biological seed spinning. At present, the most widely used biological fiber for spunlace non-woven products is silk. The processing difficulty and processing cost of bio-fiber spunlace non-woven fabrics are quite expensive. Moreover, most biofibers are very prone to hydrolysis and are quite sensitive to temperature. In the spunlace process, the drying temperature is about 90-110 degrees Celsius. In this way, it is necessary to use low-temperature air-drying equipment to ensure the activity of various active ingredients in the bio-fiber. Bio-spunlace non-woven fabrics have more beauty effects, such as a variety of amino acids in silk, which is a good and natural beauty substance for human skin.

If you also want to know about different fiber materials, or intend to manufacture different and attractive spunlace non-woven fabrics or facial paper mask sheet. Feel free to contact us anytime.